Patient dies after X-Ray blunder

ONE patient died and 13 others were seriously affected by an overdose of X-ray radiation at a hospital in Epinal, north-east France.

Photo: Patient dies after X-Ray blunder
The Jean-Monnet hospital has admitted that the blunder was caused by inadequate training procedures with the equipment. It said when the machines were installed, initial training in their use was carried out by the manufacturer.

However, staff then explained to newcomers how to operate the programmes, who later explained to subsequent trainees, and so on. To add to the confusion, the procedures were all in English.
Eventually, an incorrect default setting was made that resulted in a number of patients being given overdoses of between 20% and 40%.

The patient who died was suffering from prostate cancer and some of the other 13 affected have had colostomies as a result of damage to their intestines.


More on the subject:
Read all latest stories

Related articles


Sponsored • Prevention, early detection, timely treatment

Fujifilm “One-Stop” solution partner for the Healthcare systems

Fujifilm aims to become an entity that can contribute to the advancement of human health by supporting the ongoing transformation in the healthcare industry – as a “One-Stop” solution partner.


News • CT, MRI, X-ray, AI, PACS, endoscopy, ultrasound

Fujifilm Healthcare acquires Hitachi Diagnostic Imaging, presents new portfolio

At a virtual European event, Fujifilm Healthcare Europe presented a complete and integrated portfolio of diagnostic products and services, including CT, MRI, X-ray, AI, PACS, endoscopy and ultrasound…


News • RSNA

Samsung showcases mobile digital radiography system

Samsung Electronics showcases the GM85 Digital Radiography (DR) system which received 510(k) FDA clearance November 17 for the US market, at the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 2016…

Related products

Subscribe to Newsletter