Image source: Greiner Bio-One
The new version, designed for easier opening, has an increased number of ridges that are also deeper to improve grip and user comfort. The cap rim also overlaps the top of the tube to augment grip and ease opening. The capillary blood collection tubes offer a gentle way to collect small blood samples for a wide range of analyses, Greiner points out. ‘The MiniCollect tube includes an integrated scoop, allowing droplets of blood to be collected easily and hygienically. The wide opening of the tube ensures an efficient blood flow while the increased diameter minimises adhesion to the wall of the tube and facilitates the mixing of the sample.
‘The system is perfectly suited for young children, geriatric patients, as well as patients with fragile veins. MiniCollect is also recommended in situations where venous blood collection proves particularly difficult, such as for patients with extensive burns.’
MiniCollect tubes can be threaded into a Premium carrier tube. This combination corresponds to the dimensions of a standard 13 x 75mm tube, the manufacturer adds. With the Complete version, which is already irreversibly assembled with the carrier tube, the advantages – particularly for automated analysis of the sample – are numerous, Greiner reports:
- Changing the settings of analysis instruments is not always necessary since, in many cases, both venous and capillary blood samples can be analysed in the same way.
- MiniCollect Complete tubes generally fit into 13x75mm racks, which can be directly inserted into the analyser. The carrier tubes also enable identification with standard label formats.
- MiniCollect tubes are primary tubes. Blood collection and analysis can be carried out in the same tube. It is not absolutely necessary to transfer the sample material into a secondary tube for analysis.
- The cap of the tube can be pierced with an analysis needle while still closed and remains leakproof. It is not necessary to remove the cap, thus ensuring increased hygiene.
- MiniCollect tubes combined with carrier tubes do not need a separate centrifuge. Due to the 13 x 75mm dimensions the tubes can be processed in a standard centrifuge.
Source: Greiner Bio-One